Forum for Readers | Lynn Kurland - Main Discussion - AFY Spoilers

AFY Spoilers

New Topic Post Reply

Page: 1 2 >

Author Post
Since Val brought up a great point by way of the resurrected message (thanks spammer - for once you did something good!) I thought we should make a place for any spoiler tidbits we may find before publication and for discussions to begin once the book hits its US publication - since it is unforgivably delayed in the UK. :'(

Now, if only I had some spoilers to put in here, I'd be a happy camper! :)
:x :evil: :'(

Way to fool me ATerry! Got my hopes up for some new information and it's just a preemptive post.

Is it April yet?!? Only 48-days to go!
I love spoilers as well.... I'm one of those "we-will-get-it-later"-European. So I'm curious about your writing here.... Can't wait!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Last year it was May, 18 th, when I received my copy of OMM. ( ordered by amazon.de)
Eleana wrote
Last year it was May, 18 th, when I received my copy of OMM. ( ordered by amazon.de)

Boo! that stinks! See, I have no self control. For me, that would make the $79 kindle totally worth it! :)
"The future is something you build by yourself."
"The future is something you build by yourself."
Eleana wrote
And I love books. It won't be same on a kindle for me. I have to feel the pages. Sounds stupid, but .....

It's not stupid. I'm the SAME way! =) I buy so few new books (there are only two authors I buy brand new), it wouldn't be worth the cost. I spend my entire work-day on a computer, I don't want to read on one too. But if I were given one, I wouldn't complain.
Jocelin wrote
Eleana wrote
And I love books. It won't be same on a kindle for me. I have to feel the pages. Sounds stupid, but .....

It's not stupid. I'm the SAME way! =) I buy so few new books (there are only two authors I buy brand new), it wouldn't be worth the cost. I spend my entire work-day on a computer, I don't want to read on one too. But if I were given one, I wouldn't complain.

I think it depends on the way that you read, also... I thought I would hate not having the book in hand. But now, I am so used to the one handed reading of my kindle that reading a real book is annoying to me. And I reread just about all my books and get in a mood where I just must reread X book NOW!!! :roll: In the past, that meant scrounging through boxes of books in the dusty garage. Now, the books that I don't have on kindle but want to reread are all in a single bookcase - no dusty boxes! And the others, I can read NOW without scrounging at the touch of a button on my kindle. The thing I miss the most is the beautiful covers and the back of the book blurbs. So I made my fav book covers and backs screensavers on my kindle and it is the best of both worlds! :)
I remember what my German teacher ones said : When she went to the house of one student, she always looked for books if the family was reading or just watching TV. Okay, I'm not reading Goethe or Schiller, ( that's what she loved) but there are books in my home. ;) And my son should know what a book looks like. ;) I thought about buying a kindle, but I appreciate books more.

( And I think this was about AFY-spoilers ;) )
My kids know what the Kindle is for. They know that it is reading and so I don't consider it less of an example. My kids are young enough that most of their textbooks will probably be in ebook format by the time they are in college, so they may as well get used to it! I have a first grader that is reading Percy Jackson on his iPod touch kindle ap. I'm pretty convinced he is aware of the good of reading! :) And the tv isn't on! :)
« Last edit by aterry13 on Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:48 pm. »
maybe my son will one day have a Kindle ( he's almost 2), so I could borrow it. I think until then I will buy "proper" books. ;) "Never say never" And as a gift, who would say no?

( and I think we are far away from the topic)
Eleana wrote

( and I think we are far away from the topic)

LOL! I think that we will have to start a NEW AFY spoiler topic and maybe ask Lynn if she can change the topic on this one. But what to change it to? :)
I left a note to Lynn to see if she can change the topic. Some people may want to join this discussion, but are afraid of seeing spoilers so won't know it exists! :)
Next point: I love reading while taking a bath. So a book could be dried, what about Kindle? Is it water resistant?

If the kindle is broken, is there a possibility to get the books back? Could you save them on a PC?

( Am I the only person in the world without a Kindle? Everybody else seems to have one)

My husband would love this Kindle. He wants to sell my books (" You have already read them, why keep them?") ;)
I spend my entire work-day on a computer, I don't want to read on one too.

I totally agree!
Eleana wrote
Next point: I love reading while taking a bath. So a book could be dried, what about Kindle? Is it water resistant?

If the kindle is broken, is there a possibility to get the books back? Could you save them on a PC?

( Am I the only person in the world without a Kindle? Everybody else seems to have one)

My husband would love this Kindle. He wants to sell my books (" You have already read them, why keep them?") ;)

Eleana, this makes me laugh!!! That is why my husband got me the kindle - he swore if we move agan (likely) he would throw out all my books cause he hated moving 20 boxes of books! So, he got me the kindle, said put them all on this, and throw out the rest! (I gave them away).

Now, I read in the bath as well, so here is what I do - hubby laughs at me for it - But I put my kindle in a ziplock bag. Now, if I dunked it under, I may have problems, but it gets splashed and I have never had a problem yet.

Computer screen - I have the ereader only kindle. It is not back lite and there is not a computer screen feel to it. I work online as a tutor - believe me, the last thing I want to do is my reading on a computer screen. The eink display is just like a book. And I love one handed reading and not worrying if the kids lose the book mark from my book.

Finally, with either Amazon (or B&N for that matter) you can always redownload your books (no extra charge. You only buy them once and can download to all your kindle apps). They back it up for you and as long as Amazon is in business (which I don't see changing anytime soon) all those books are yours to download onto additional kindles or kindle apps (ie phone, ipad, etc.) I also have all my kindle books on my computer through my kindle for pc app so I am all backed up. If I get a new kindle, I just have to either copy from my kindle content folder or have amazon send it to my new kindle through Whispernet.

My kindle broke after I had it about six months. Called Amazon. I hadn't even finished explaining the problem when they had a new kindle on its way to me. GREAT customer service. Since the new one (which is at least a year old) no problems. My hubby bought me the kindle fire for my bday. I had it back in the box and returned to Target within two hours. I love my eink kindle and don't know how I did without it and believe me, I was VERY hesitant because I cherished the smell and feel of a real book. My hardcovers were my treasures and my paperbacks were never touched by kids or hubby. But now, it is my kindle that everyone keeps away from! :)

Hope that helps, Eleana!

Next point:
My best friend and I keep borrowing ( sorry if this hurts your ears, you can always correct my mistakes) books to each other, so we don't have to buy a book twice. This wouldn't be possible with a Kindle, or would it be if she had also a Kindle?

How long will it take to recharge the Kindle?
Eleana wrote
That's quite helpful.

Next point:
My best friend and I keep borrowing ( sorry if this hurts your ears, you can always correct my mistakes) books to each other, so we don't have to buy a book twice. This wouldn't be possible with a Kindle, or would it be if she had also a Kindle?

How long will it take to recharge the Kindle?

Yes, there is sharing from kindle to kindle, but I have to be honest. I don't do it and I am not sure how it works, but essentially, you loan them the book for a two week period and then it leaves their kindle and returns to yours. It is not readable by you when they have it. There are also books available through some libraries, but right now, my library has a pitiful selection and I have only used it once, so I am not that familiar with it either.

The battery charge depends on the kindle. The kindle fire (I don't know the recharge time), but it has about 8 hours of juice. Most people I know with Nook Colors say that they charge theirs every night.

Mine is the Kindle 3 (now called the Kindle keyboard). I only charge it every few weeks (and I read on it a LOT and I leave it on by mistake a lot and so it is almost always on). The charge takes about 2 hours and it is like an energizer bunny - it keeps on going. I have NO complaints about the battery life on my kindle and rarely even give recharging it a thought.
There must be sth. negative about that Kindle..... I will find it ;) But first I have to think about it. ;)

2 hours that's not much... maybe I'll try the Kindle app for my Android mobile phone.
Eleana wrote
There must be sth. negative about that Kindle..... I will find it ;) But first I have to think about it. ;)

2 hours that's not much... maybe I'll try the Kindle app for my Android mobile phone.

LOL!! There isn't much I can think of except that some older books aren't on kindle yet, but I have faith that they all will be eventually!

Honestly, my kindle right now is my most prized possession. It beats out my iPod only because not all books all audios...yet! :)
Honestly, by the time my kindle won't hold a charge, I will probably have bought a new fangled one just because I like new gadgets and like when it can do new things. I am considering the Kindle Touch for Xmas next year whether I "need" it or not!

Katie is correct about the lack of "additional" memory. That is very true. However, the Kindle plays MP3s, the nook einks do not. Also, I have 450+ books on my kindle. (Love having all the classics on my kindle for free!!!!!!! Go Jane Austen!) My memory, with all those books, is only 1/4 taken up. I really don't worry too much about using it up... ever. :)
ok, that were 2 negative points... And I think it's like the iphone, if there's a new one, every one will buy it, so at least they'll have 4 now ;) New things are always intressting... aterry13 gets the point: "(I) like it when it can do new things"
So there isn't really a problem with the old batteries.

But for what else should these Kindle be useful. I want read books. When I buy a book, I can read it or not. And I bought it to read it. There isn't anything I want the book to do. No mp3.... no "audio book" ( I hope this is the right word)
I don't like them... I don't know how the English versions are, but in the German visions there are always missing parts of the book, and I want a complete book.

So I wouldn't use the Kindle for that. Photos I have on my mobile phone or PC.

New Topic Post Reply

Page: 1 2 >

Forum for Readers | Lynn Kurland - Main Discussion - AFY Spoilers

An Austin DesignWorks Production